Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect There are a lot of potential gases that may be present in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that come from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none of these gases are as dangerous as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is potentially a matter of life and death, so it should not be treated lightly. Part of the reason it is so dangerous is because the gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can manuveur its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how large the crack is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can become fatal in a matter of minutes, or the gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. There is no reason to risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some recommended action items to protect yourself and your family: If you do not have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Donelson Air Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Nashville to purchase one. Ask our technicians about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, don’t forget to check the batteries on a regular basis. Testing should be done every few months, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or experience flu-like or other symptoms described above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps your family can be protected from the hazardous gas. Our experts can provide more information, so go ahead and call Donelson Air Service Experts in Nashville at 615-953-9885 to learn more.