How Indoor Air Quality Affects Your Health
Mold, pollen and pet dander are common pollution sources in your home. Other supplies include household cleaners and volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
VOCs can be emitted by things in your home, such as building materials, flooring or furniture. They can also be detected in various air fresheners and scented candles. Heightened VOCs can cause respiratory irritation, headaches and dizziness, among other issues.
Multiple scientific studies have learned respiratory diseases, asthma and other health conditions are connected to poor indoor air quality. Allergies can also be worsened by indoor air quality issues.
10 Signs Your Home has Poor Indoor Air Quality
If your family has problems that worsen at home and go away when you leave, you may be suffering from indoor pollution. You should also talk to your doctor if you’re worried about your health.
- Ongoing cold or flu symptoms. A sore throat or runny nose that never gets better could be linked to air quality. This is especially true if you feel better when you leave your home.
- Watery, itchy or dry eyes. Your eyes are vulnerable to indoor pollution and may react by turning dry, itchy or watery.
- Fatigue or feeling dizzy. Taking in chemical pollutants can have an influence on your energy levels.
- Recurring asthma attacks. Dust, pet dander, smoke and other triggers can be diffused through the air or get stuck in carpet.
- Coughing and sneezing. Allergies or colds can lead to these symptoms, but they shouldn’t be worse at home.
- Too much dust despite regular cleaning. You may need to put in a new air filter or add a filtration system from Donelson Air Service Experts.
- Humidity problems. Dryness can cause itchy eyes and increase respiratory symptoms. Too much moisture can cause mold or mildew growth.
- Stale odors. Mold or mildew thrives when the humidity in your home is too high.
- Hot or cold spots. This can be related to air quality, especially if your HVAC system is having issues regulating temperature and humidity.
- Nausea. This can be recoil from the chemicals or pollutants in your home. It can also be a warning of high carbon monoxide levels. Ensure that you have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home.