Each year over 20,000 people end up in the ER because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is produced by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the colder months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep you safe, Donelson Air Service Experts is here with a few tips to safety heat your home.
- Put in a CO detector on all floors of your home and change the batteries every year.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, at least three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Turn off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are completely extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like porcelain tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, buy a model that shuts off automatically if the heater tumbles over.
- Don’t use a cooking range to heat your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally inspected and cleaned yearly.
The ideal thing you can do for your heating system is to ensure it’s not only ready to keep your home warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your heating tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Donelson Air Service Experts will check to be sure your heating equipment is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 615-953-9885 today and find out how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.