When bad weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair expert to check your system afterwards, they can likely provide you with good news that your preparations were worth the time.
At Donelson Air Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time might not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets strewn about during severe weather. Just ensure you have turned the system fully off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a safe place so that they don’t get tossed about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to return outdoors, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Donelson Air Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that bad weather doesn’t hit us in Nashville, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other issues that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for threatening weather in Nashville or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 615-953-9885 or schedule an appointment with Donelson Air Service Experts through our online scheduler.