When rough weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair professional to check your system afterwards, they can probably provide you with good news that your prep were worth the time.
At Donelson Air Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time might not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets strewn about during severe weather. Just ensure you have turned the system completely off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a safe place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to go back outdoors, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Donelson Air Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Nashville, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other concerns that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for threatening weather in Nashville or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Donelson Air Service Experts through our online scheduler.