Colder months in Nashville are near. In fact, the months of October through February have a track record of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances happening throughout those months. To understand the safety of your home, set up an annual furnace service now, before the middle of winter is here.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners know that their furnace may give off deadly carbon monoxide gas, but more than half don't do anything to prevent it from occurring.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be very harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be thought of as the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that uses fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the ability to give off carbon monoxide if the system is not working as it should be or if it wasn’t installed appropriately.
Your annual furnace service company can help uncover any possible concerns. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Be sure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Inspect for any other suspicious things that might compromise your safety
- Help you identify any additional areas where you may want to consider adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is running at its top efficiency, helping offer peace-of-mind that you’re in a good spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to keep in mind that many furnace manufacturers may require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the team at Donelson Air Service Experts can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 615-953-9885 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the colder months.